Dental Implants Restoration Can Improve Your Smile - And Your Quality of LIfe
We restore dental implants at our Skillman, NJ, dental practice with bridges, dentures, and crowns that look natural and provide important oral health benefits. Implants are titanium or ceramic posts that replace missing tooth roots. They are surgically inserted into your jawbone, where they become permanently fused to provide a durable, solid foundation for restorations. Once your oral surgeon has placed your implants, Dr. James Altomare can provide the prosthetic teeth necessary to help you chew, speak, and smile with absolute confidence. To learn more about how we can help you experience the maximum benefits of dental implants, contact our office today.
Dental Implant Candidates
The best candidates for dental implants should:
- Be missing one or more teeth, or require an extraction. If your tooth is damaged, but the outer structure and roots are intact, a less extensive restoration such as a filling or crown may be sufficient.
- Be free of periodontal (gum) disease.
- Have enough jawbone tissue in the region of the missing tooth to hold the implant. The prolonged absence of tooth roots results in bone atrophy. If you lack sufficient bone, an oral surgeon may recommend a bone graft prior to implant placement.
- Not smoke, since this can interfere with your body's ability to heal.
- Be in good overall health.
Placing Dental Implants
Dr. Altomare refers patients to our partner oral surgeon for placement of dental implants. This typically requires two surgeries. During the first, the surgeon will make an incision in the gums and place the post within the jawbone. Over the next several months, the implant will integrate with the jawbone. During this time, you may wear a temporary prosthetic on top of your implant. Once the implant has fused to the bone, an abutment is secured to the implant in a second surgery. The abutment is the hardware that connects the implant to the restoration. Once the gums have healed around the abutment, Dr. Altomare can begin the process of crafting your permanent, custom-made restoration. He provides:
- Crowns, which can replace a single missing tooth.
- Bridges, also called partial dentures, which fill the gap left by one or more missing teeth.
- Locator overdentures, which replace a full upper or lower arch by attaching to two or more strategically placed implants.
Dr. Altomare can coordinate and oversee the entire implant treatment process, from oral surgery to restoration.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Dental implants enhance the health and beauty of your smile in many ways:
- Implants are the only restorative treatment that can prevent jaw bone atrophy following tooth loss.
- They can improve your confidence.
- Implants make daily activities like eating, drinking, and talking more comfortable.
- They prevent the shifting that can occur with traditional dentures.
- You can care for implants much like you would natural teeth, with regular brushing, flossing, and checkups.
- Implant-supported restorations prevent your teeth from moving into the space left by a missing tooth, which can cause further oral health problems.
- Implants can last the rest of your life with proper care.
Learn More about Dental Implants
Contact our office today to learn more about dental implants, and how we can restore them with custom, natural-looking crowns, bridges, and dentures.